[Terrapreta] charcoal and natural gas - new auto fueling setup

jim mason jimmason at whatiamupto.com
Wed Dec 19 13:38:02 CST 2007

i agree the potential for hybrid solid/gas storage technologies is
very interesting.  i was excited to see kelpie's article on this, and
also wanting more techinical detail.  this detail was not available
from energtek.  such an omission could suggest vaporware or they are
just protecting their ip.  we can't know, so let's be generous.

either way, using activited charcoal for all sorts of things is a very
old technology.  i'd imagine we can find somewhere in the literature
and/or patent files info on using it to increase the density of gas
storage.  however, this seems counterintuitive to me unless there is
some sort of molecular recombination in and out of the storage, but i
am not very familar with these technologies.

and yes, fuel density continues to be a central fulcrum for all alt
fuel scenarios in mobile or small scale apps.  such continues to favor
liquids heavily.  i personally do not think gases will get major
traction due to the infrastructure and transaction inefficiencies.
and if any do, it will be CH4 and not H2.

granulated solids have attractive potential and deserve more
attention, especially charcoal.  charcoal and water is a powerful
combination.  and the water usually does not need extra transportation
input. (and yes, this is what we discuss on the gasification list).

jim