[Terrapreta] Carbon Trading Primer in Scientific American

Duane Pendergast still.thinking at computare.org
Thu Dec 20 08:34:30 CST 2007

Morning Michael

Sorry! I don't have a 50 word summary, but Scientific American does have a
160 word abstract. Unfortunately it's hard to reach from the link to the
"extended" article. Here it is.

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=making-carbon-markets-work

I would think list members who have an interest in seeing some kind of
carbon dioxide management credits developed for the terra preta concept
would be interested in reading the full article. Note that I avoid the use
of the terminology emission reduction credit in the previous sentence.  The
emphasis in the UNFCCC and Kyoto Worlds is so dedicated to CO2 emission
reduction that I think the very language they use blinds them to other
strategies. Terra  preta promoters needs to work on establishing recognition
of the possibility carbon dioxide can be removed from the atmosphere. That
is why I used the term "emission removal" in my 2003 comments on the
Canadian governments Offset Discussion Paper referenced in my previous post.

I was wondering if the concept that it is always better to control emissions
at source helps focus attention on emissions reduction rather than emission
removal. The post you reference would reinforce that idea. Maybe in the case
of terra preta, since there is a potential benefit coming from removal of
CO2 from the atmosphere, the control emission at source rule of thumb is not
valid.

Duane