[Terrapreta] volatile matter and char

Gerald Van Koeverden vnkvrdn at yahoo.ca
Fri Dec 21 18:32:58 CST 2007

None of our discussions seem to have got us any closer to what "VM"
is....

1.  To what extent is VM just a concentration of pre-existing organic
compounds in wood?  For example, the tree has produced certain
chemicals to protect its trunk from insect/diisease; are these just
becoming more concentrated?

2.  To what extent is VM new toxic chemicals produced through the
heat of pyrolysis?  At what temperature are these produced?  If
higher temperatures are their origin, then it might well be that
lesser/lower carbonized/torrified wood (the stage of cell collapse
and dehydration), such as suggested by Nikolaus, might be the
healthiest precursor to fertile 'char'.  It could be that only the
intermediate 'incomplete' carbonizing stages produce a toxic charcoal.

Until we get a better handle on this VM mystery substance - its true
nature, origin and decomposition - we just keep going round in circles.

Gerrit