[Terrapreta] volatile matter and char

Michael Antal mantal at hawaii.edu
Fri Dec 21 19:01:59 CST 2007

There is no mystery associated with the chemical composition of volatile
matter (VM).  As discussed in our publications and others, VM is composed of
carboxylic, carboxylic anhydride, lactone, hydroquinone, phenolic,
carbonylic, quinonic, ether, and pyrone functional groups attached to a
carbon backbone.  At elevated temperatures (typically above 400 C) these
groups undergo thermal cleavage and form CO2, CO, H2, H2O and CH4 and (at
low temperatures) other organic compounds.  As Gerrit states below, the VM
content of charcoal is largely a product of the pyrolysis process itself.

If Edward Someus were to take the trouble to read our publications, he would
realize that his remarks below (concerning our work) are nonsense.

Merry Christmas to all!

Michael J. Antal, Jr.

Coral Industries Distinguished Professor of Renewable Energy Resources

Hawaii Natural Energy Institute

POST 109, 1680 East-West Rd.

Honolulu, HI 96822

phone: 808/956-7267