[Terrapreta] medium-size charcoal making - the tools?

Gerald Van Koeverden vnkvrdn at yahoo.ca
Sat Dec 22 15:45:07 CST 2007

The idea of charring forest wastes is great...but how could this be
done on a farm or a community level?  How can we direct interested
communities to the best technology available??

Barrel-sized charcoal makers are great for house and garden level
stuff, and Antal's flash carbonizer or the various pyrolysis sytems
are great on a commercial level.  Is there any open-source do-it-
yourself technology  that is ready to be made and used locally by
communities on the medium level scale?

The only DIY mediium scale ones I can find are:

1.the British "ring-kiln" seems the most economical.  However there
is no re-cycling of exhaust gases and thus would be rather polluting.

http://handbooks.btcv.org.uk/handbooks/content/section/3768

2. the Adam-retort seems the most efficient, but it is very labour
intensive to make and there's a lot of potential cracking in the
double-wall masonary wall;  besides there are no drawings for it.

http://www.biocoal.org/3.html

3.  Adam's continuous carbonization kiln also looks interesting, but
it has never been made so is only experimental; also no drawings
available to even price it out.

http://www.biocoal.org/4.html

4.  the Thomas or Cornell retort look interesting, but I don't know
if a DIY could find enough information on how to make them, and I
doubt that anybody makes them anymore.

http://www.fao.org/docrep/00950e/00950e07.htm

5.  the T.P.I. kiln can be homemade, but it would be too polluting.
can it be modified?

http://www.fao.org/docrep/X5328e/x5328e09.htm

6.  Here's a Polish one, but it doesn't look like a retort style,
though it is labelled as such.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Charcoal_retorts_cm01.jpg

Gerrit