[Terrapreta] volatile matter and char

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Sat Dec 22 16:37:34 CST 2007

Hi Dr. Michael J. Antal,

I knew you knew the answer to this question.  I have read and understood as much of your work as you have been willing to share.  We did ask about this before.  You suggested by your terse answers then, that VM% was all that mattered and that performing "proximate analysis" on a charcoal sample was all that was needed to get VM%.  When asked whether there was any way to make a determination about "what" sorts of chemicals were in a VM sample, you told us that could not be done.  Perhaps it cannot be done on a sample by sample basis.

But, by your very statement above, you clearly can tell us something about the chemical nature of what VM is.  It is not just "a measure of the weight % of material, which has the propensity to turn into and pyrolytic gases".  Today, you say ",

VM is composed of carboxylic, carboxylic anhydride, lactone, hydroquinone, phenolic, carbonylic, quinonic, ether, and pyrone functional groups attached to a carbon backbone."

How much of them respectively are there in VM from charcoal?  Are any of these more "toxic" than others in soil?  What are the toxicity levels of each in soil?  What fraction of the entire VM content from charcoal even makes it into the soil?  Do any of these chemicals react with anything in the soil other than biologicals?  Are there any methods to control, reduce, or change the chemical composition of the VM produced on or in charcoal when it is made?

There probably are proprietary methods and/or proprietary analysis?