[Terrapreta] volatile matter and char

kchisholm at ca.inter.net kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Mon Dec 24 19:45:37 CST 2007

Quoting "Sean K. Barry" <sean.barry at juno.com>:

> Hi Kevin,
>
> How does your your last sentence ...
>
> "This latter reference
>

>   Analysis of a Hormesis Effect in the Leukemia-Caused Mortality Among
>   Atomic Bomb Survivors
>

> confirms the existence of the hormesis effect.",

This is a scientific, Peer reviewed paper. Fellow Scientists would
never let the "hormesis effect" go unchallanged unless it was real.

> confirm or even show the hormesis effect of charcoal borne (in VM)
> soil toxins in or on soil or any living biota or the hormesis effect
>  of soil biota in the presence of charcoal toxins?

I had intended to make the list aware of a possible relevant phenomenon.

   How is there any
> connection?

I never said there was, or was not a connection. I only pose the
possibility that there may be relevance.

  This is a weak inductive argument.  Is there any way
> you can demonstrate this (confirming one confirms the other)?

There definitely is a way to prove or disprove teh relevance of the
Hormesis Effect.... run tests.

> Based on the assumption that hormesis in biomass-to-soil applies, is
>  there anything you can predict, that is demonstrable?

Test work is required. Someone could perhaps get a PhD out of such work.

   Test for the
> failure of that "new" predicted cause-and-effect and you will
> support a growing hypothesis, that hormesis has an effect in the use
>  of charcoal as a soil amendment.  Get more people to see and repeat
>  your work, publish a report of this under review by peer
> scientists,  develop new experiments to validate further that
> hormesis is in  effect, and then it will begin to become an accepted
> theory (and  categorically falsifiable by a single failed prediction).

Thats the correct general procedure.

> Until then, what you suggest it is a story and an inappropriate
> generalization, which is potentially totally false.

What I am suggesting is a possibility. What you are suggesting is that
possibility might not prove to be true. I agree that it might not be
true, but will have to agree that it is not untrue until proven untrue.

Kevin