[Terrapreta] Happy Solstice fromTerania Creek

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Sat Dec 22 17:57:59 CST 2007

Hi Geoff,

A quote from the article you referred, "We don't inherit the earth from our parents; we borrow it from our children.", is very appropriate to some recent discussions here at the 'terrapreta' list.  This is the evident problem and the formation of Terra Preta is given as the possible solution.  Making our world better, so that our children can inherit something better to live in, possibly anything or any life at all, now, is desperately needing an investment in the future.

We have to build a bond now, instead, for our children and the future generations, which matures in their futures. We need to teach young people how to do the same for their children and stop borrowing on the credit of the future.  Talk to preschoolers, parents, grandparents, and seniors.  They all want the world to be a livable place for one another.  In the present time of our civilization, we need to recognize children and the young are, in the end, the primary benefactors of our work, because the benefits of our work will occur after we die.

This is the concept of "working for the future", that I think is something we all will need to develop better, in order to continue to live on the Earth.  The primary angst and problem of our generations will be to find a better, cleaner way to live in and with the natural world.  We need understand the Earth's sustaining, existing, "living", and usable energy transfer systems better.  Learning how to change the world to tap into the "provided" renewable sources is as much a technological problem as it is a social and cultural problem.

Honor your mother and father before you, for they do suffer for their little children and bestow on them what the World can provide, to those who will inherit the Earth.  It is an act of faith to see it this way.  Act like your best mother and father and put your stock in, to pay out in the future.  Any human should be proud to say they effected the lives of many futures generations.  I think that solving the current Global Climate Change problem, or adapting to it, will involve a better appreciation of the natural world and more focus on giving these skills to our children.  The dominance humans have of control over our environment is something that we have learned to live with.  We need our children to be prepared for a resurgence of dominance by the natural world, as fossil fuel runs out, or GCC reaches a fever pitch.  Before populations were 6.5 billion and there was no fossil fuel being used as now it was a more difficult world to live in.  Either we prepare the our children for their futures or we prepare their futures for them.  This is what a blessed parent ought to do.