[Terrapreta] volatile matter and char

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Sun Dec 23 16:00:04 CST 2007

Hi Kevin,

How does your your last sentence ...

"This latter reference

  Analysis of a Hormesis Effect in the Leukemia-Caused Mortality Among
  Atomic Bomb Survivors

confirms the existence of the hormesis effect.",

confirm or even show the hormesis effect of charcoal borne (in VM) soil toxins in or on soil or any living biota or the hormesis effect of soil biota in the presence of charcoal toxins?  How is there any connection?  This is a weak inductive argument.  Is there any way you can demonstrate this (confirming one confirms the other)?

Based on the assumption that hormesis in biomass-to-soil applies, is there anything you can predict, that is demonstrable?  Test for the failure of that "new" predicted cause-and-effect and you will support a growing hypothesis, that hormesis has an effect in the use of charcoal as a soil amendment.  Get more people to see and repeat your work, publish a report of this under review by peer scientists, develop new experiments to validate further that hormesis is in effect, and then it will begin to become an accepted theory (and categorically falsifiable by a single failed prediction).

Until then, what you suggest it is a story and an inappropriate generalization, which is potentially totally false.

    Analysis of a Hormesis Effect in the Leukemia-Caused Mortality Among
    Atomic Bomb Survivors

   confirms the existence of the hormesis effect.

  Best wishes,

  Kevin