[Terrapreta] volatile matter and char

Larry Williams lwilliams at nas.com
Mon Dec 24 03:42:08 CST 2007

Rich, Greg and crew-------A clarification on the Webber technique is
needed so that the image of the Webber isn't stained... so to speak.

The home-made charcoal from last summer's earthen mound firings is
being used in the Webber for cooking purposes. Some of the pieces are
to large for cooking the chicken. The larger pieces are placed
outside of the area where the charcoal is expected to be burnt to
ash. A few small branches of fresh alder are usually added to the
outside edges for purposes of smoking the chicken.

As most would expect, this process is in stages. In the first stage,
the chicken fats, juices and VM, to a certain extent, cover the large
pieces of charcoal as the chicken is cooking. The dripping fat and
jelled proteins are clearly uncharred on the charcoal (at this time I
have a prayer that the USDA has keep the prions out of the chicken
feed).

The unburnt charcoal is removed before the next time the Webber is
used and at some point is placed in a bucket to be bathed in diluted
urine for 3-4 weeks.

In one trial with John Flottvik's charcoal (a finer grade), I emptied
a 5 gallon bucket of incompletely burnt pieces of wood and diluted
urine on the 4 gallon nursery pot. After a week, frozen chicken bones
and pieces of fat were boiled and after cooking, when the juices was
still warm, this broth was poured into the nursery pot. About 4" of
composted wood chip were placed over the fine charcoal to hid the
meat scent from critters. Three week later the fine charcoal had a
thick covering of mold. Neat! Do ask for Rich's opinion on what he saw.

Now it seems important that I keep closer tabs on what is happening
with the charcoal in the different stages. I would like to see your
pictures of charcoal that has been in the soil for some time. What
are the microbes doing? I have dug up charcoal at a site of an older
home in the Bellingham area which I believe is close to 90 years old.
This charcoal had been in compacted soil likely due to foot
compaction that occurred during the time that the house was under
construction. There were no fungal roots or tree roots associated
with the charcoal. No roots. This situation is common around
construction sites... foot compaction rules the day, the year and the
century. Heads up!

Pictures of crop yield are important but what sort of interactions is
taking place between the microbe's hotel (the piece of charcoal) with
it's dinning service and a plant's roots? Also, I need to see the
effects on plants or microbes of wood tar toxicity, at this time, it
seems that there is not a serious problem. Pictures please, I know
the tars are toxic. What are the limits of that toxicity? Did the
Amazonian natives not have a quantity of tar with their smoldering
fires?

Charcoal is a versatile material and there is room for many different
approaches. It is a pleasure to be sailing on this ship with you. We
might be able to steer this Queen with little more focus and
understanding of the Terra Preta process. We are many souls attached
to each other for better or worst.

Here's a toast to verdant vistas-------Larry

P.S. the toast is a challenge also for a successful outcome