[Terrapreta] volatile matter and char

Richard Haard richrd at nas.com
Mon Dec 24 09:45:21 CST 2007

Fyi

Here are some images we took the day we opened up Larry's charcoal
pretreatment test

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rchaard/2126890717/in/set-72157594444994347/

Nice mat of mycelium inhabiting the treated charcoal

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rchaard/2126890919/in/set-72157594444994347/

This image is Larry's test setup that we opened on December 19

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rchaard/2126890841/in/set-72157594444994347/

This image is clear enough to show spore formation. This mold is not a
mushroom species it is most definitely a common soil fungus like
Verticillium or Geotrichium. Indicating to me they were using
materials Larry added as food rather than cellulose and may also be
the organisms that help to degrade the VM.  In jet fuel a common soil
organism, Cladosporium occurs in the water phase at the bottom of
tanks. They use JP-4 as carbon source.