[Terrapreta] Comments solicited - promoting Terra Preta R&D in California

Green Waste Recycle Yard info at GreenWasteRecycleYard.com
Wed Dec 26 19:55:29 CST 2007

Dear list members,

I am soliciting your suggestions and comments on ways to move Terra Preta
research forward here in California, a state known for its environmental
leadership. Advances here are often followed by implementation elsewhere,
given our spotlight and economic clout.

As some of you may know, I manage Green Waste Recycle Yard, a green waste
recycling facility in the San Francisco Bay area. Developed as a division of
a local tree service, we accept only woody green waste: whole trees,
branches, brush, and wood chips.  We have a mill partner on site, and can
create dimensional lumber and flooring from mill length logs that come in.

I discovered Terra Preta as I researched alternative uses for our lowest
level waste, some of which gets shipped to a cogeneration plant an hour's
drive away. While cogen is certainly a better use for wood chips than
letting them rot into methane in a landfill, I am excited about the
potential for neo-Terra Preta, and I'm eager to see R&D move forward here in
California.

ASSETS

Our facility/area has several assets for Terra Preta R&D, including:

1. A steady large supply of two consistent feedstocks: Blue Gum Eucalyptus
(eucalyptus globulus), a hardwood with low ash content, and Monterey Pine
(Pinus radiata), a softwood.

2. Like the Genova (flash pyrolysis) olive press pilot project mentioned in
this list 12/24/07 (
<http://biopact.com/2007/09/israeli-company-develops-small-modular.html>
http://biopact.com/2007/09/israeli-company-develops-small-modular.html), we
have the potential for an efficient self-sustaining system: supplying the
electricity produced to our mill partner, and also capturing the process
heat for their kilns. (We also have potential for integrating solar and wind
at our location.)

3. Proximity to several research universities, including UC Davis with its
agricultural emphasis, and UC Berkeley.

4. Proximity to one of the largest agricultural regions of the world.

5. Moderate weather and an average 12% humidity.

6. Favorable political climate towards alternative fuels and greenhouse gas
reduction.

7. Proximity to state capital.

8. Major media market, with arguably the highest visibility for "green
business" innovations and cutting-edge environmentalism.

9. Major investment market, due to proximity to infotech and biotech
centers.

VISION, GOALS, AND PARTNERS

I would like to see an integrated demo plant on our site, producing energy
to power the mill and agrichar to be distributed for research. The goals
are: 1) to grow the public image of Terra Preta, 2) to provide agrichar to a
major agricultural market for research, 3) to make our operation
carbon-negative.

Partners would include:

1. Flash pyrolysis or other technology to produce energy/fuel, and agrichar.

2. Engineering to integrate energy/fuel and process heat into mill
operation.

3. Agricultural researchers to investigate neo-Terra Preta.

4. CIWMB (California Integrated Waste Management Board) and other agencies,
for loans and grants, and to facilitate implementation on a larger scale
throughout the state (i.e. drafting legislation for permitting new
technologies, incentives, etc.).

5. Investors, foundations, nonprofits, and others to fund the plant and
research.

YOUR SUPPORT

This is a broad initial sketch, and I'd like your imagination, expertise and
connections to move it towards specifics; which technologies, which
partners, what scale, what research, etc. All thoughts welcome, from the
most hypothetical "what if" to the most concrete "talk to Professor X at Big
University." Though I will certainly be contacting people like Dr. Antal
directly myself, please feel free to put potential partners in touch with
me.

I look forward to your comments. Please make them publically to the list or
privately to me, as appropriate. Let's get California on board!

Bernie Lenhoff
Business Manager
Bernie at GreenWasteRecycleYard.com

Green Waste Recycle Yard
a division of Arboricultural Specialties, Inc.
www.GreenWasteRecycleYard.com <http://www.greenwasterecycleyard.com/>

Phone: (510) 527-8733
Cell: (510) 908-2169
Fax: (510) 549-3965