[Terrapreta] wood torrefaction: from hard to brittle

Gerald Van Koeverden vnkvrdn at yahoo.ca
Thu Dec 27 11:27:05 CST 2007

Nick,

The torrefying of wood results initially in hardened wood, like that
used by Amerindians for arrow and spear points.  At what point in the
process does torrefied wood become so soft it can be broken up with
bare hands?  Is this a result of long-term exposure to the same heat,
or to higher heats than that used for fire-hardening??

"By careful fire hardening, the willow tip can be made virtually as
hard as steel. The willow is also soft enough to insert larger harder
thorns through the tip, then fire hardening the willow tip to shrink,
make the thorns virtually unremoveable."

http://outdoorhelp.org/fishing/q-2365272.html

A few quotes from your writings on the "Stoves" listserve:

"Why don't you torrefie the wood first at a temperature of 280 degrees
celsius then you can break it with your bare hands, THE SIZE REDUCTION
COSTS ARE NEARLY ZERO THAT WAY.
With a simple grinding mechanism you get every size you want."

"Still have to add some thing to my explication concerning the use of