[Terrapreta] Carbon emissions show sharp rise

Frank Teuton fteuton at videotron.ca
Sun Dec 30 00:03:10 CST 2007

Sean et al;

I fail to grasp the reasoning behind the idea that emptying biologically active carbon reservoirs (soil OM, trees, prairies, etc.) is somehow fundamentally different than emptying biologically inert (relatively speaking) reservoirs, coal, oil, gas, peat, etc.

The simple truth is, we can only manage atmospheric CO2 levels by learning to manage all the possible reservoirs of carbon, including biological reservoirs as well as inert reservoirs. Pumping relatively inert carbon underground is one way, which includes terra preta approaches...aiming to increase SOM and standing biomass via perennial plant strategies, including forest and prairie approaches, is another....stimulating phytoplankton in the ocean is of course still another.

In the meantime, it is simple arithmetic that depleting existing biological reservoirs further is part of the problem, not part of the solution. Increased deforestation for, say, charcoal production where the charcoal is then subsequently burned for fuel empties the forest bioreservoir of carbon, which is not a good thing. We will need to optimize all reservoirs of carbon to make this thing work.

It is my understanding that up until about 1950 the majority of the increase in atmospheric carbon was due to human land use impacts, eg, deforestation, tillage, desertification, and similar phenomena. Not until about 1950 did fossil fuel burning exceed biome degradation as the leading anthropogenic cause of atmospheric CO2 increase. If the argument is that we need to put back the C, I would suggest we need to put it back not only into inert carbon forms in the ground, but also back into the living biological systems from whence a great deal of it was also taken.

It isn't one or the other, but what combinations of both can be made to work.

My two cents,

Frank Teuton