[Terrapreta] Carbon emissions show sharp rise

Duane Pendergast still.thinking at computare.org
Sun Dec 30 10:21:17 CST 2007

Right on Frank! That's a two dollar response - not jut two cents worth. Sean
did miss the depletion of land surface carbon reservoirs that is taking
place. In some parts of the world humans gather every scrap of wood they can
find for cooking and heating. In others, coal is used in terribly
inefficient open stoves. I've lived in that world myself during my youth in
the forests of central Alberta. We had no electricity in those days and
converted substantial tracts of land from standing biomass to wood for fuel.
We also used some coal. The land was ultimately converted to agriculture
with little carbon sink remaining. Rural electrification projects changed
the scene substantially starting about the middle of the last century.

Let me suggest that the provision of an efficient microwave oven and
inductive hot plate along with the nuclear power plants and wires need to
power the appliances could go a long way toward lifting billions of people
from the poverty cycle that makes them dependent on the desecration of
standing carbon sinks and  greenhouse gas extravagant fossil fuel use.  That
in turn would make more biomass available for use in terra preta production
and agricultural enhancement.

Happy New Year to all.

Duane Pendergast