[Terrapreta] -- Using wet charcoal in hydroponic systems

Len Walde sigma at ix.netcom.com
Mon Dec 31 09:27:25 CST 2007

My greenhouse is outfitted with 30 modified " Dutch Buckets" each of which
consists of a 5 Gal. HDPE bucket with a 4 Gal. HDPE plant can inside
containing  a mix of 33 % charcoal,  a  33% mix of peat and oak leaf
compost, 33% commerical compost/planting mix. This is the growing medium.
Each bucket is top-fed with a recirculating neutrient  solution on a timer.
The outer bucket back drains to the solution tank. The growing medium is
always wet and provides all of the neutrients to the roots of the plants.
This coming season I will try some buckets with 50% charcoal and 50%
commercial compost/planting mix to compare production.    Also some with 50%
charcoal, 25% zeolite and 25% commercial, to reduce buy-out costs and for
comparison. I make my own charcoal in my airtight stove as Bay Area air regs
discourage the crude systems.

Happy New Year to all.

Len Walde, P.E.

 Message -----