[Terrapreta] Carbon emissions: only part of the picture

dyarrow at nycap.rr.com dyarrow at nycap.rr.com
Mon Dec 31 10:00:48 CST 2007

here in america, we still pursue a plan to bury nuclear waste on an
indian reservation under a mountain crisscrossed with geological
faults.  certainly a non-solution.  anyone who thinks nuclear power is
a solution to CO2 emissions has a completely illogical, uninformed
brain.  but hey, that sort of intellectual dysfunction and illogical
reasoning never stopped much before.

at any rate, fact is the nuclear fuel cycle is not carbon neutral.
mining, refining and reprocessing uranium ore into fuel pellets and
rods is an highly energy intensive technology.  building nuclear
generation plants is also energy intensive.  i mean -- hello? -- does
anybody count how much CO2 is released making cement and concrete?

and then there are those massive cooling towers.  does anybody compute
the waste heat released into the water systems and atmosphere as a
factor in global warming?  maybe that waste heat is carbon-neutral,
but it ain't thermal negative.  just ask the fish.

the real issue here is not a question of technology -- like what kind
of energy production we will have.  the real issue we face is moral --
how much energy energy do we want to consume to support our own
presence on this planet.  how much is enough?  current practices are a
horrific form of energy gluttony.

more is better, but less is best.  leave some for future generations.
leave something for the millions of other living species that are part
of the marvelous, mysterious web of life.

david