[Terrapreta] climate realities: two views

dyarrow at nycap.rr.com dyarrow at nycap.rr.com
Mon Dec 31 10:56:34 CST 2007

Looking Reality in the Eye

Beyond the Point of No Return.
By Ross Gelbspan, Grist Magazine, December 11, 2007.

"As the pace of global warming kicks into overdrive, the hollow
optimism of climate activists, along with the desperate responses of
some of the world's most prominent climate scientists, is preventing
us from focusing on the survival requirements of the human
enterprise...

To keep ourselves afloat, we need to change the economic and political
structures that determine how we behave...

We need, in the face of this oncoming onslaught, to reorganize our
social structures to reflect our most humane collective aspirations...

We are crossing a threshold into uncharted territory. And since there
is no precedent to guide us, we are left with only our own hearts to
consult, whatever courage we can muster, our instinctive dedication to
a human future -- and the intellectual integrity to look reality in
the eye."

350 Is the Number Every Person Needs to Know.
Commentary Bill McKibben, The Washington Post, December 28, 2007.

"This month may have been the most important yet in the two-decade
history of the fight against global warming. Al Gore got his Nobel in
Stockholm; international negotiators made real progress on a treaty in
Bali; and in Washington, Congress actually worked up the nerve to
raise gas mileage standards for cars.

But what may turn out to be the most crucial development went largely
unnoticed. It happened at an academic conclave in San Francisco. A
NASA scientist named James Hansen offered a simple, straightforward
and mind-blowing bottom line for the planet: 350, as in parts per
million carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. It's a number that may make
what happened in Washington and Bali seem quaint and nearly
irrelevant. It's the number that may define our future...

450 parts per million... [is what] the European Union and many of the
big environmental groups have been proposing in recent years, and the
economic modeling makes clear that achieving it is still possible,
though the chances diminish with every new coal-fired power plant...

But the data just keep getting worse. The news this fall that Arctic
sea ice was melting at an off-the-charts pace, and data from Greenland
suggesting that its giant ice sheet was starting to slide into the
ocean make even 450 look too high. Consider: We're already at 383
parts per million, and it's knocking the planet off kilter in
substantial ways. So, what does that mean? It means, Hansen says, that
we've gone too far. 'The evidence indicates we've aimed too high --
that the safe upper limit for atmospheric CO2 is no more than 350
ppm,' he said after his presentation...

The last time the Earth warmed two or three degrees Celsius -- which
is what 450 parts per million implies -- sea levels rose by tens of
meters, something that would shake the foundations of the human
enterprise should it happen again. And we're already past 350.

Does that mean we're doomed? Not quite. Not any more than your doctor
telling you that your cholesterol is way too high means the game is
over. Much like the way your body will thin its blood if you give up
cheese fries, so the Earth naturally gets rid of some of its CO2 each
year. We just need to stop putting more in and, over time, the number
will fall, perhaps fast enough to avert the worst damage...

The weaning has to happen now, and everywhere. No more passing the
buck. The gentle measures bandied about at Bali, themselves way too
much for the Bush administration, don't come close. Hansen called for
an immediate ban on new coal-fired power plants that don't capture
carbon, the phase-out of old coal-fired generators, and a tax on
carbon high enough to make sure that we leave tar sands and oil shale
in the ground.

To use the medical analogy, we're not talking statins to drop your
cholesterol; we're talking huge changes in every aspect of your daily
life. Maybe too huge. The problems of global equity alone may be too
much -- the Chinese aren't going to stop burning coal unless we give
them some other way to pull people out of poverty. And we simply may
have waited too long.

But at least we're homing in on the right number. 350 is the number
every person needs to know."

Bill McKibben is a scholar in residence in environmental studies at
Middlebury College and the author of the forthcoming "Bill McKibben
Reader."