[Terrapreta] Kevins TerraPreta questions

Richard Haard richrd at nas.com
Sun Feb 11 22:09:07 CST 2007

Kevin

Christoph Steiners research in Brazil is definitive on this question.

In his experiments he used the classical method of replicated
treatment blocks in typical agricultural research and his treatments
were charcoal, charcoal + fertilizer, fertilizer, control. This was a
single time treatment of the typical soils of the moist tropics that
have short lived agricultural productivity. The plots were then
multiple cropped, back to back, for a number of years.

The results were dramatic, charcoal + fertilizer  and presentation of
his results can be seen in various places including Epidra website
where they have the proceedings of the conference at University of
Georgia where I attended, heard Steiner and others  present their
research.

Definitely worthwhile to look at this research.

At this conference I was also impressed with the presentations of Dr
Ogawa and his coworkers. It should be recognized up front that Dr
Ogawa, a fellow mycologist, has been working with charcoal for many
years as an  independent line of inquiry from those researchers
involved in the Amazon terra preta rediscovery. At the UGA conference
he passed out reprints of his research that I copied and sent to a
few members of the gasification list  shortly after the conference.
His article in Farming Japan is not available on the internet but is
very interesting.

What caught my attention is his hypothesis that the carbonized
vessels and trachieds of hardwood charcoal is  habitat for
beneficial  microorganisms including the free living nitrogen fixing
bacterium, Azotobacter and also certain mycorrhizial fungi where he
presented electron micrography and also his plot  experiments in soil
and SE Asia forest nursery work, and stressed tree rehabilitation as
evidence.

A presentation he gave on his literature and soils studies on
distribution of Azotobacter with latitude lead me to wonder if the
Terra Preta effect of charcoal on soils is limited to the moist
tropics or much slower in temperate zones. I have not seen reports of
research on performance of charcoal in temperate zones other that
anectdotal and pictorial evidence presented by Dr. Day and the
classical image on the Epidra website. It would be very interesting
to me if I could find peer reviewed reports of the terra preta effect
in the temperate north.

Not that am either soils, of soil microbiology expert. I would love
to be corrected on any of my comments above or below and even more
love to exchange information and ideas.

  I am propagation manager of a small native plant nursery in Western
Washington, a full time farmer. At the UGA conference i was able to
meet with both Drs Steiner and Ogawa and solicit their kind advice
for my own research at our bare root nursery. They both recommended
as well as some Cornell grad students, combining hardwood charcoal
(not softwood) with fertilizer or rich compost and to let the mix age
for a period of time.

I am using charcoal at 200lbs/1000sq feet for my work in combination
with commercial fertilizer or compost and collected natural forest
surface soil and rotting litter.

In my experiments I have been using Oak - Hickory  lump charcoal
purchased at local Wal-mart and conifer charcoal donated by John
Flotvik from his carbonizer project in Abbotsford BC. It should be
noted that Dr Ogawa uses rice husk charcoal. All however are the low
temperature type and not the activated charcoal with that result from
additional processing.

In addition, we have a local terra preta interest group of gardeners
an permaculture enthusiasts who are participating in a local
discussion and their own experiments. My friend Larry Williams has
had some encouraging results in his garden.

For my own work I have not had the truly striking results  witnessed
in Ogawa and Steiners published research. There are a variety of
reasons for this and i am not at all discouraged. Most encouraging to
me is the combination of charcoal with natural innoculum for Alder
and  other native shrubs on rehabilitating sterilized soil. I'm not
ready to publish anything yet although I would like to place a series
of images of my research efforts  at the terra preta  reading list in
order to encourage others to present their own independent studies on
these forums.

If and when this use of charcoal comes into the mainstream focus in
commercial agriculture and gardening  this material could come into
high demand as a  new soil additive commodity. Its value as a soil
additive versus as sequestration offset I feel will be much greater,
after all, the lost civilization of the Amazon Basin had no carbon
credit s.

Rich Haard