[Terrapreta] Glomalin........ TP's Recalcitrant Fungal Secret

Shengar at aol.com Shengar at aol.com
Tue Feb 13 12:28:20 CST 2007

Hi all,

Here are a series of post that clarify the critcal roll of Glomalin for TP
formation

Started by Philip Small at
_http://forums.hypography.com/earth-science/3451-terra-preta-new-post.html_
(http://forums.hypography.com/earth-science/3451-terra-preta-new-post.html)
( to catch all the hyper-links go to Hypography Forum)

Philip Small's Blog;  _http://transectpoints.blogspot.com/_
(http://transectpoints.blogspot.com/)

Also, here is the Blog which I first read of Glomalin;
_http://www.garyjones.org/mt/_ (http://www.garyjones.org/mt/)

Glomalin and Terra Preta - 02-11-2007, 03:35 AM

____________________________________

Fellow blogger, Back40,  and I have been tossing out the potential glomalin
link to TP function for  awhile. I even emailed Dr. Lehman enthusiastically
about glomalin a few weeks  ago, thinking to pull my thoughts together on it for
a blog post. He was not  unaware of the rationale. His entirely neutral
response reined me in a bit.

Since then my soil fungi:bacteria thinking has been highly stimulated by
reading Jeff Lowenfels' "Teaming with Microbes" and it has hit me: it's got to
be more complicated than just AMF kicking up their glomalin production. Maybe
glomalin can account for the initial stages of transformation to TP, but there
 are pitfalls to fungi as an explanation for TP's self-replication once it
has  reached its full expression. By then the pH has come up, not so great for
the  fungi. By then the phosphorus levels have come up, not so great for
mycorhhyzal  mutualism.

The soils I see in the pictures of TP remind me of the types  more conducive
to high bacterial populations than fungal populations. If it is  fungi, it
would seem to be from a highly adapted fungal species. Perhaps, but  could TP be
an other-than-fungi/glomalin phenomenon? If so, we may be looking  for a new
recalcitrant organic carbon based substance in TP and an undiscovered  pathway
for its formation.

I think TP formation is driven by plant root  exudates being delivered to
grow microbial biomass, sequestering carbon pulled  from the air. The fungi-like
bacteria, actinomycetes, seems a candidate. Next I  would consider the
archeae. And because it is soil, the reality here has the  potential to be
deliciously nonlinear, multi-staged, complex and  inter-connected.

Re: Glomalin and Terra Preta - Yesterday, 06:58 AM

____________________________________

Good post Philip, well  worth building on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Small
(http://forums.hypography.com/earth-science/3451-terra-preta-post158692.html#post158692)
I even emailed Dr. Lehman enthusiastically  about glomalin a few weeks ago,
thinking to pull my thoughts together on  it for a blog post. He was not
unaware of the rationale. His entirely  neutral response reined me in a bit.

I  expect he is on the case but unwilling to say anything until he is safely
published. Glomalin drives a coach and horses through much previous TP
research,  because its effects are so directly relevant that if not factored in,
other  results are, well, flaky. Give the man time.

Quote:
it's  got to be more complicated than just AMF kicking up their glomalin
production
Certain to be true but is it  important? Review what we know:
    1.  Charcoal massively increases AMF growth, and is used extensively for
this  purpose in Japan. E.g. Saito & Marumoto (2002) 'Inoculation with
arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi: the status quo in Japan and the future  prospects',
Plant and Soil 244(1-2), pp. 273-279.
    2.  AMF inherently produce copious amounts of glomalin (Driver et al
(2005)  'Characterization of glomalin as a hyphal wall component of arbuscular
mycorrhizal fungi', Soil Biology & Biochemistry 37(1), pp.  101-106). This
glomalin is recalcitrant and persists long after the hyphae  have died.
    3.  AMF are ubiquitous and are productive in tropical forest soil
(Lovelock et  al (2004) 'Soil stocks of glomalin produced by arbuscular mycorrhizal
fungi  across a tropical rain forest landscape', Journal of Ecology 92, pp.
278-287).
    4.  Fire does not reduce AMF the way it does other fungi, leaving them as
the  dominant group for up to 15 years after a burn (Treseder et al (2004)
'Relationships among fires, fungi, and soil dynamics in Alaskan Boreal
Forests', Ecological Applications 14(6), pp. 1826-1838). Terra preta  soils were
prabably continually burned during formation (Hecht in Amazonian  Dark Earths).
    5.  Glomalin forms water-stable soil aggregates (Rillig et al (2002) 'The
role  of arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi and glomalin in soil aggregation:
comparing  effects of five plant species', Plant and Soil 238(2), pp. 325-333).
    6.  Water-stable aggregates of a similar size to those characteristic of
glomalin bind and protect soil components (Teixera & Martins in  Amazonian
Dark Earths). This accounts for many of the properties of  Dark Earth soils:
stability; water retention; carbon retention; nutrient  retention and reduced
leaching; reduced CH4 and N2O emissions.
Perhaps  you have heard of Occam’s Razor, or of Einstein’s “smallest
possible number of  hypotheses”? The important properties of terra preta do not need
bacteria to  explain them. Bacteria work with AMF (Rillig et al (2006)
'Phylogeny of  arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi predicts community composition of
symbiosis-associated bacteria', Fems Microbiology Ecology 57(3), pp.  389-395), so
as you say the reality will be found to be nonlinear, multi-staged,  complex
and inter-connected, but they aren’t needed as independent agents.

Quote:
there  are pitfalls to fungi as an explanation for TP's self-replication once
it  has reached its full expression. By then the pH has come up, not so great
 for the fungi. By then the phosphorus levels have come up, not so great  for
mycorhhyzal mutualism.
Self-replication of  terra preta is reported by Amerindians but is there any
scientific evidence for  it? It seems to be one of several questionable
beliefs (German in Amazonian  Dark Earths), in this case perhaps based on Dark Earth’
s rapid recuperation  under fallowing. Another such belief is that TP does
not lose fertility or break  down. It most definitely does if not maintained
properly (German  again).

pH up? The mean pH of terra preta is 5.7, and of terra mulata 5.3  (Kämpf et
al in Amazonian Dark Earths), higher than the awful common soil  but nowhere
near suppressing fungi.

Phosphorus up? The high P (and Ca)  levels in terra preta are believed to be
original, from the debris of  habitation, not accumulated. They are reported
to be the main features  distinguishing terra preta from terra mulata, apart
from the colour, which is  probably due to bacterial decomposition of the debris
but has no known  beneficial effects. Terra mulata has low P and shows that P
does not “come up”  in Dark Earths. A useful hypothesis: more glomalin will
be found in TM than in  TP.

I had hoped that there was no link between TP and glomalin, because  then we’
d have two weapons against carbon dioxide instead of one. But the  scientific
evidence is too compelling for me right now. Nevertheless, I cling to  the
hope of a pleasant surprise when independent glomalin assays of Dark Earths  are
published.

Re: Terra Preta Glomalin bacteria, nemata - Today, 09:18 AM

____________________________________

This may be of  interest
If glomalin stores 1/3 + of the world's carbon. .  .?!!!!!!

Glomalin on the Web
Glomalin hiding place for a third of the  world's stored soil carbon
Agricultural Research, Sept, 2002 by Don  Comis
A sticky protein seems to be the unsung hero of soil carbon  storage.Until
its discovery in 1996 by ARS soil scientist Sara F. Wright, this  soil "super
glue" was mistaken for an unidentifiable constituent of soil organic  matter.
Rather, it permeates organic matter, binding it to silt, sand, and  clay
particles.
Not only does glomalin contain 30 to 40 percent carbon,  but it also forms
clumps of soil granules called aggregates. These add structure  to soil and keep
other stored soil carbon from escaping.
As a glycoprotein,  glomalin stores carbon in both its protein and
carbohydrate (glucose or sugar)  subunits.
_Glomalin hiding place for a third of the  world's stored soil carbon
Agricultural Research - Find  Articles_
(http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3741/is_9_50/ai_92589768)

WASHINGTON  - A sticky protein shed by fungi living on plant roots is
responsible for  absorbing and storing sizable amounts of the carbon dioxide
pollution linked to  global warming, U.S. Agriculture Department scientists said.

The  protein, glomalin, glues soil particles and organic matter together
which  stabilizes soil and keeps carbon from escaping into the atmosphere.
_Planet Ark : Rich soil good for trapping  carbon dioxide -  study_
(http://www.planetark.org/dailynewsstory.cfm?newsid=17668&newsdate=09-Sep-2002)

**************************************************  *
Charcoal in soil acts as a substrate for fungi which secrete a > glue,
glomalin, that binds soil particles, water and nutrients together, so > the  soil
work far better. The charcoal is not consumed, so this process is >  carbon
negative, but Glomalin accounts for 27% of the carbon in soil, so >  adding
carbon to soil as charcoal causes yet more carbon to be  sequestered.
(http://www.atomicprecision.com/blog/2006/12/07/)

*****************

In 1996, Dr. Sarah Wright  and colleagues at the USDA's Agricultural Research
Service isolated a  glycoprotein called glomalin that literally "gums up" the
soil rhizosphere (the  interface between soil and plant roots) with carbon
fixed from the atmosphere.  The compound is produced by common soil fungi called
mycorrhizae that frequent  the roots of many crops.
When Wright removed glomalin from soil samples, the  result was a lifeless
mineral powder. The soil had lost its tilth - the  substance that conveys
texture and health. She had inadvertently discovered the  fundamental factor of soil
welfare, elusive for over 10,000 years. Humic acid,  previously thought to be
the main contributor to soil carbon, could muster only  a tiny percentage of
glomalin's carbon-storing capacity in the field.
Another extraordinary finding was that elevated carbon dioxide levels
encouraged mychorrizae to work overtime. Working with a consortium of scientists
from UC-Davis and Stanford, Wright simulated CO2 projections for the year 2100
and observed ramped up glomalin production, with thriving fungi. . . .
. Most  importantly, the USDA research demonstrated glomalin's tendency to
buildup in  the soil. Intensively farmed fields consistently leveled off at 0.7
mg of  glomalin per gram of soil, while undisturbed plots saw an increase from
1.3 to  1.7 within three years. In hindsight, the Dust Bowl of the 1930's
wasn't a  casualty of overfarming, but overplowing.
. .
I hadn't known, or had  forgotten, that mycorrhizae harbor and sustain soil
microbes. It makes sense  given their habits of transporting phosphorous,
nitrogen and carbon around  underground - the "dirt internet" so to speak. When
mycorrhizae thrive, so does  eveything else.
_Muck and Mystery: Glomalin  Critics_
(http://www.garyjones.org/mt/archives/000401.html)

******

Carbon Coalition Against Global  Warming
Work in the area of ammending soil with bio-char and, separately or  in
combination with bio-char, promoting mycorrhyzal fungi to produce glomalin  seem
both very promising in terms of the fundamental science. Both are fairly  recent
discoveries with huge implications. Hopefully we have a few more rabbits  to
pull out of the living soil hat.
_Carbon Coalition Against Global Warming:  February  2006_
(http://carboncoalitionoz.blogspot.com/2006_02_01_carboncoalitionoz_archive.html)

**************************************************  *********
No one has mentioned worms?
I have seen one estimate of  phylum Nemata saying that if those in 1sq.m. of
soil were stretched 'head to  toe' they would stretch to Mars.
Nematodes are the most numerous  multicellular animals on earth.
The vast majority of species encountered are  poorly understood biologically.
There are nearly 20,000 described species  classified in the phylum Nemata.
We know so little about soil fungi. We have  named about 10% of the life in
the soil

The S.A.Indians say Terra preta  soil "grows".
I am inclined to believe them. They have been right about  everything else.
SEE
_ET 9/98: First-ever estimate of total bacteria on  earth_
(http://www.sdearthtimes.com/et0998/et0998s8.html)

Quote:
"Another  important part of the study was an estimate of carbon content in
bacteria.  Carbon, of course, is a crucial element in numerous natural
processes, so  knowing the amount of it could contribute substantially to knowledge of
carbon cycles.
Scientists assume that carbon in the bacteria that live  in soil and
subsurface takes up about one-half of their dry weight.
The  team thus found that the total amount of bacterial carbon in the soil
and  subsurface to be yet another staggering number, 5 X 10**17 g or the weight
of the United Kingdom.

Rather surprisingly, the group at Georgia  found that the total carbon of
bacteria is nearly equal to the total  carbon found in plants.
The inclusion of this carbon in global models  will greatly increase
estimates of the amount of carbon stored in living  organisms"
My, My, How many more Rabbits ARE going  to come out of TP's hat?

Erich J.  Knight
Shenandoah Gardens
E-mail: shengar at aol.com
(540)  289-9750