[Terrapreta] Indigenous burning

CAVM at aol.com CAVM at aol.com
Sun Feb 18 12:56:46 CST 2007

In a message dated 2/18/2007 11:15:33 A.M. Central Standard Time,
tmiles at trmiles.com writes:

In  Iowa we have  been burning switchgrass, a native prairie grass, as fuel
in an industrial  boiler. _http://www.iowaswitchgrass.com/_
(http://www.iowaswitchgrass.com/)  Our  experience in Iowa has shown that a native prairie grass
like switchgrass will have about 4-6 tons of removable straw per acre and
another 1.5 to 2 tons in the form of stubble for a total of 6-8 tons per  acre

Tom, is this direct combustion or gasification? How do the economics work
out for paying the farmers for the switchgrass?  We have conducted a couple  of
studies of the economics for various groups and farm raised biomass ends up
pretty expensive.

Neal Van Milligen
Kentucky Enrichment Inc
_www.kentuckyenrichment.com_ (http://www.kentuckyenrichment.com)