[Terrapreta] Indigenous burning

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Sun Feb 18 16:29:26 CST 2007

Neal,

As you can see from the website it is direct combustion. Burning biomass
with coal is called co-firing or (in Europe) co-combustion. If we co-fired
15% biomass with coal in our cola fired plants we would meet the obligations
the US would have if we signed the Kyoto agreement. So the project is
justified by reducing the amount of coal burned. Since the biomass is more
expensive than the coal it must be paid for by using the incentives we
provide for reducing greenhouse gases (CO2, Sox) and sequestering carbon.

In Oregon we harvest and process more than 600,000 tons per year of straw
from our grass seed harvest. The cost of that straw harvested, stored and
delivered to an industrial process is between $35-$45/ton. You get about 1
MWe from a ton of biomass when it is fired alone (combustion or
gasification) or about 1.4 MWe per ton when it is co-fired. At 1 MW/ton then
biomass at $10/ton make electricity with a fuel cost of $0.01/kWh; $40/ton =
$0.04/kWh. Energy crops like switchgrass must also carry the cost of
establishment and cultivation so add another $10-$15/ton to the cost. If
straw at the plant costs $50/ton and it costs $20/ton to process  then the
total cost of $70/ton ($0/07/kWh) is well above the cost of
coal(about$0.01/kWh), or power from coal ($0.04/kWh) anywhere. So the gap
must be made up by mandated renewable standards, state and federal
incentives including carbon credits.

Further the ash from firing biomass with coal must be accepted by the cement
and concrete users who are currently buying the flyash from the coal plant.

You are right; biomass is a costly and challenging fuel.

Tom

  _____