[Terrapreta] Learning to use wood charcoal in farming

Richard Haard richrd at nas.com
Tue Feb 20 15:50:46 CST 2007

Hello list

Learning to use wood charcoal in farming at a Northwestern Washington
native plant nursery.

My motivation for preparing this post is to be able to use this
motivate discussion of charcoal as a soil additive. Trying to do this
work at a very busy nursery that is perhaps pushing their production
factor too high (over 80%) is rather frustrating as experiments have
gotten over ruled by planning changes, wiped out by harvest before I
can read the data and the conditions set up for the experiment just
do not work. However, I have been encouraged however and I am now
using hardwood charcoal as a carrier for natural inocculum as a
matter of routine.
Fourth Corner Nurseries is a wholesale supplier of native plant
species, located on 77 acres in the coastal lowlands of northwestern
Washington, USA.  With approximately 40 acres under cultivation, we
produce two/three million direct-seeded, field-grown, bare-root
native plants annually.  Our principal crop is individually seed-
sourced, bare-root deciduous trees and shrubs, herbaceous perennials,
grasses and emergent species such as sedges, cattails and rushes for
environmental restoration purposes. Our mission is to sustainably
grow plants while supporting workers and their families who depend on
the farm for their economic subsistence. Use of surplus biomass from
our willow coppice field and other materials is our alternative
energy vision.

aerial view of our farm http://www.flickr.com/photos/rchaard/
396844423/in/set-72157594444994347/

our web site http://www.fourthcornernurseries.com/index.asp

And incidentally we are looking to hire a seed technician for summer
and  with career potential. Any young biology/plant physiologists
with interest in charcoal as extracurricular activity and hands on
farm work ?

  http://www.fourthcornernurseries.com/employment.asp

Here are charcoal research topics that interest me:

Rehabilitation of depleted soil:

We cover crop with buckwheat and or oats every 2-3 years. Our farming
method is really hard on the soil as the bare-root production takes
everything.  Of the more than 500 species we grow all do not equally
deplete. When we cover crop it is like a blanket over the field that
shows where the soils are most depleted. I obtained a tote of conifer
char mixed 50/50 with commercial compost and spread with a manure
spreader over a field showing signs of the worst depletion. The  plan
was to wait until the next cover crop cycle , 2 years, and compare
photographs.

What happened was we needed the field for production and lost the
next cover crop opportunity. Maybe next year we will have this
opportunity.

Frankia sp. and improving nodule formation on Alnus rubra roots:

Usually we inoculate our seedlings with macerated roots and are
moderately successful. Wanted to see if using hardwood charcoal would
help. First year results were encouraging, second year not
conclusive. Here we tried 2 methods - work into soil with scuffle hoe
as seedlings emerge and also place in a band with seed during
planting. Latter worked well for both treatments in second year -
with and without charcoal.

Natural inoculation of bromide sterilized soil:

Using a combination of charcoal, fertilizer and natural inoculum
attempt to reverse the stunting (patchy growth) that occurs in
Lonicera involucrata, Cornus servicea,  Mahonia aquifolium and other
native shrubs.

  Burned the roots with too much fertilizer first year (control was
better) and second season the effect did not show (poor fumigation).
In these experiments both working in between rill and seed band were
tried.

We would like to use willow coppice as our alternate energy strategy
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rchaard/396838826/in/set-72157594444994347/

pretreatment cover crop -  http://www.flickr.com/photos/rchaard/
396844423/in/set-72157594444994347/
we used a tote of conifer char donated by John flottvik and combined
with commercial compost

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rchaard/396838820/in/set-72157594444994347/

spreading conifer char/compost on field 3 http://www.flickr.com/
photos/rchaard/396838824/in/set-72157594444994347/

Lump charcoal before grinding, this batch from k-mart Brazil origin

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rchaard/396830225/in/set-72157594444994347/

After grinding we mix with perlite and natural innoculum

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rchaard/396830227/in/set-72157594444994347/

alder seedlings tilling in charcoal and compost (right) and compost
only, both with mascerated alder roots

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rchaard/396830230/in/set-72157594444994347/

spreading charcoal near Lonicera involucrata seedlings prior to
working in with scuffle hoe

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rchaard/396830221/in/set-72157594444994347/