[Terrapreta] better links

Richard Haard richrd at nas.com
Wed Feb 21 10:14:41 CST 2007

Hi Michael
On Feb 20, 2007, at 9:09 PM, Michael Bailes wrote:

> On 21/02/07, Richard Haard <richrd at nas.com> wrote:
> We would like to use willow coppice as our alternate energy
> strategy  http://www.flickr.com/photos/rchaard/396838826/in/
> set-72157594444994347/
>
> Thanks Richard great photos
>
> What would you do differently?
For me to conduct a controlled research program i need to retire from
my current job and to do this research at a place other than our
production nursery. Or to encourage someone else to do same which is
why I am posting this.

> Why willow for coppice?
Willow is my favorite native plant. I love their  genetic diversity
especially looking at distribution from our latitude and north to
Canada and Alaska. Just looking at Scouler willow , Salix scouleriana
I have isolated 5 different ecotypes that come true to seed just in
western Washington, and this species occurs from Manitoba to Alaska
to Mexico.I have been selecting strains of Scouler willow and
propagating another  - about 10 species of willow from seed for about
10 years. We grow them for restoration markets as bare root and
stakes. We are planning to expand our production this fall on a 25
acre piece of land nearby. There will be considerable surplus wood
production.

Willow is ecto and endo mycorrhizial, it is a primary succession
species and with uneven harvesting creates an ideal habitat for
wildlife from invertibrates to birds mammals and fish. Willow coppice
groves can be put on seasonally flooded land adjacent to riparian
zones. Productivity is compatible to grasses and ecological benefits
are greater where habitat is correct.

Every region, every community, every business and individual need to
examine and to do post peak oil contingency planning. If I was living
in NW Iowa my plan would be different.

I looked at the regional scale for willow coppice groves and decided
our proximity to the rail grid would allow us to ship chips harvested
to cofired coal power plants or other markets. This is not my
strategy though. We are only interested in our small farm and in-
house power needs for water pumping and product refrigeration, and to
take care of our farm productivity while supporting the 18 people and
families who work year around with us.

> How do you intend to use it?

Right now power is too cheap. We are grid connected with 2 refineries
nearby, interstate highway system, natural gas, etc. Wind and solar
are not appropiate to our location.  We use much manual labor for our
plant production methods so why not adapt our alternate energy
strategy to our present labor pool and develop a system based on
faggots and pyrolysis.

This is why I have been reading gasification and biomass lists for
some time now. How many years before oil costs spike beyond $200/bbl
and never come back? This is our timeline to develop this alternate
energy and agriculture system. In remote areas and for people without
our wealth and rich economy this time is now.

> Any reason for using perlite rather than cheaper zeolite bentonite,
> attapultite etc or is your soil already clayey?
Last summer i used charcoal in our Egdal seeder which places a mix of
perlite and stratified seed in our seedbeds in rills.   This puts the
char and innoculum in direct contact with germinating seed. I would
love to find a cheaper substitute for this. We use bentonite to plug
leaks in our irrigation dam this would make a sticky mess.

I also mix the charcoal with commercial compost and spread with a
spreader , then rototill in. This dilutes the char in the upper 8
inches of soil and as my supply of char is limited I have been lately
either using as a band while seeding or top-dressing and working into
the soil between the seed rills by hand.
> Did you do Ph tests before and after char?

No-Makes sense- thanks
> With what results?.
> Did you have any "control" row not treated with charcoal?
Yes -
> Would wetting the charcoal help dust problems?

No- I have soaked  lump charcoal overnight with same results while
chopping in compost shredder. Some of John Flottviks conifer char was
exposed to weather and wet. This may be an important pretreatment so
far as microbial utilization!!

Best wishes Rich H