[Terrapreta] Terra Preta & Pigs

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Sat Feb 24 18:10:55 CST 2007

Gentlemen,

Raa, Raa Frank!   I agree with your assessment.  Ancient "Terra Preta" is soil that was amended with charcoal of some form, probably from indigenous tree species, fell, lit aflame, and buried before they entirely combusted.  But then its believed ancient people also composted in inedible plant wastes from food crops, fish bones, and pottery chards, all added to the soil mixture.  It's magical stuff, so they say, when it comes to growing plants in it.  But the knowledge about how and why is lacking.  What to do?  What to do?

Christov Steiner is the only person who's research I have seen who is one who has actually attempted to "make" Terra Preta.  He did it in Brazil.  He added charcoal and NPK fertilizer to soil and grew plants in it next to control groups.  A.k.a. he used real science.  How he made the charcoal, at what temperature, from what materials he made it, in what concentrations he mixed it into the soil, is not entirely known.  However, some things are revealed from his research; namely plant growth is enhanced over that in indigenous soils by like 266% on average and the enhanced soil shows prolonged improved performance (i.e. it maintained its enhanced fertility).

The "Terra Preta" concept is to amend soil with charcoal, because charcoal seems to enhance the ability of the soil to maintain its fertility.  It was done so the people living on leached (by the Amazon river) soil didn't starve.  The charcoal put in the soils thousands of years ago still remains in those soils today, so it highly resilient.  The modern "Terra Preta" concept, then, is to improve soils and bury carbon from the atmosphere, sequestering it away for some thousands of years hence.  To prove most useful, the "Terra Preta" concept will need to be practiced locally, like it was thousands of years past.

So, the main question is how to make charcoal locally (and what local materials to make it from) to put into local soils.  This means research.  It specifically means there is no answer yet as to the temperature, the materials, and what other "wee beasties" it gets mixed into what soils with.  I propose to any interested parties that we devise a set of experiments to meat out what can work best.

Here is my approach ...

1) Some of us make charcoal from diverse source materials among various agricultural wastes.  We make it at various temperatures and with whatever approaches we can dream up, making sure to document how each batch is made.  Then we make it available to others to conduct soil science research with.  Negotiate the shipping between the parties if required, but I would strongly suggest local collaboration.

2) Some of use do the soil science research and find ways to make charcoal amendments show documented improvement to plant growth, quality, and yield.  Maybe some of us can find ways to reproduce "Vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizal (VAM) fungi" or find out and grow what other necessary soil micro-organisms there are, then how to inoculate charcoal and/or manufactured "Terra Preta" soils with the stuff.  We will need to experiment with the fertilizers too;  use commercial ones, use natural ones, composting, etc.  We will need to grow crops in the "Terra Preta" soil we make and we will need to grow the same crops right next to this in the original un-amended soil.

3) Most importantly, we do real science, with documented observations, control groups, replicated experiments, and peer review.
We can't let ourselves get fooled into rosy scenarios and "blue-sky" guessing about what works.  We can't keep asking each other questions about "Terra Preta" and get anywhere with it if we are not willing or able to do the work to get the answers to the questions.  It anyone intends to invest in "Carbon Sequestering Soil Enhancement" products (equipment service, materials, distribution, etc.) then we are going to want a good, correct understanding of what we are doing, and we will reap the most benefits by educating ourselves through research along the way.

Regards,

Sean K. Barry
Principal Engineer/Owner
Troposphere Energy, LLC