[Terrapreta] co2 sequestration

henry buehler henry.buchler at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 12:52:47 EDT 2007

charcoal mixed into soil a possible way of fixing carbon into earth
*

Gilgamesh </user/gilgamesh>* on July 5, 2007 - 11:12am | *Permalink <
http://europe.theoildrum.com/node/2733>*

carbon (charcoal) is interesting because of Koc values. The ad/de-sorption
coefficient tells weither a substance will become adsorbed to the surface of
a molecule or be unimpeded.

higher values of Koc mean that everything is retained in the soil, (higher
adsorption) specifically on the outside of the carbon, which is ideal for
plant roots(breaking up stuff to get at the absorbed substances is energy
intensive), so the roots can transport *whatever* (P, N, S, Mg) to maximize
growth.

activated charcoal is used in breather apparatus for the same reason. large
surface area + Koc values = large retention of particulates travelling
through the filter.
*

oilmanbob </user/oilmanbob>* on July 5, 2007 - 9:31am | *Permalink <
http://europe.theoildrum.com/node/2733>*

We've been pretty heedless of the consequences of our releasing this CO2,
and this post makes it obvious that CO2 sequestration isn't going to happen
on a scale big enough to matter. I haven't seen the energy economics for
charcoal, but I'm sure they are cost prohibitive.
Bob Ebersole
*

pondlife </user/pondlife>* on July 5, 2007 - 7:32am | *Permalink <
http://europe.theoildrum.com/node/2733>*

To till carbon in the soil is odd, - burn coal then waste the energy made to
make more 'coal', then scatter it about to stop us from burning it
again..??? How does that help us?