[Terrapreta] Does Terra Preta Increase Drought Tolerance?

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Thu Jul 5 13:13:02 EDT 2007

Joe,

Increase in water holding capacity is one of the advertised features of
biochar. I've seen measurements of water holding capacity of char compared
with other materials but no comparisons of water retention in specific soils
containing various concentrations of biochar. Water retention certainly is a
an argument given for biochar in the dozens of advocacy blogs and articles
but I don't see any field data yet. I would think that University of Georgia
would be working with biochar in local soils.

According to the Cornell Biochar page "beneficial effects of biochar on both
soil microbial functions and soil water availability are highly likely but
not yet sufficiently quantified to be effectively manage"
http://www.css.cornell.edu/faculty/lehmann/biochar/Biochar_home.htm

Their current research in Kenya, Zambia, and Colombia should show something
about water retention.

One of the more clear illustrations of water effects is in Julie Major's
February 2006 seminar presentation:
Improving soils with biochar: General considerations and current research
efforts
http://terrapreta.bioenergylists.org/major2006

The only data I have seen in public information available from recent
conferences in Australia is a table of how increasing soil organic carbon
(OC) increases soil water storage capacity. See Christine Jones, "Soil
carbon means WATER - for all" in her presentation "Carbon, air and water -
is that all we need?" 'Managing the Carbon Cycle' Katanning Workshop 21-22
March 2007
http://terrapreta.bioenergylists.org/amazingcarbonKatanning

Maybe those on the list with better knowledge of current research can tell
us about water retention and drought tolerance with different soils.

Tom