[Terrapreta] Charcoal in Compost? 4USA?

Bernie Lenhoff bernie at greenwasterecycleyard.com
Mon Jul 9 15:13:57 EDT 2007

The key thing to remember is that it's not just about producing
charcoal, but to get the full value needs to be clean pyrolysis,
capturing the offgases. This is going to take a longer time to get
established (bringing in new technolgy that has to pass permitting
requirements, etc.).

One company making small portable pyrolysis plants is Advanced
BioRefinery, Inc, a Canadian R&D firm:

http://www.advbiorefineryinc.ca/

By default, they have their plants tuned towards production of biofuel,
but they could be tuned more towards charcoal. A demonstration 1-ton
plant is about $60k, with their commercial and higher capacity plants
being far more expensive. A good current strategy might be to encourage
Waste Management authorities to put together
government/business/nonprofit/academic partners to set up demo plants
with associated research projects using the biochar and biofuel products
created.

Bernie Lenhoff
Business Manager
Bernie at GreenWasteRecycleYard.com

Green Waste Recycle Yard
a division of Arboricultural Specialties, Inc.
www.GreenWasteRecycleYard.com <http://www.greenwasterecycleyard.com/>

Phone: (510) 527-8733
Cell: (510) 908-2169
Fax: (510) 549-3965