[Terrapreta] Charcoal in Compost? 4USA?

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Mon Jul 9 19:40:48 EDT 2007

Bernie,

California has had pyrolysis demonstrations in the past but none of them has
demonstrated using char in agriculture. What would it take to demonstrate to
landscapers and nurseries in your area that char would be useful to them?
The nursery next door making saving money or getting better production by
using char? Where do we start this process?

One 50 dry tpd plant would produce about 10-15 tpd char plus oil and waste
gas. Gas from the process would be  used to make the oil and char.

A char product could go out as 10%-20% in blended planting mix products or
as char to agricultural applications. At concentrations of 2-4 ton/acre a
day's production would cover 2.5-7.5 acres; 625-1875 acres per year.

Delivered planting mix products are about $200-$250/200 ft3 unit around
here. Pick $200/ton as a price and you have a gross char sales of
$2,000-$3,000 per day; $40,000-$60,000 per month. Char production would be
2500-3000 tons per year.

It sounds like as a biomass producer you'd rather sell to a char and oil
processor rather than produce the char yourself. How do we get the guy next
door to build a charcoal plant?

Regards,

Tom