[Terrapreta] Incineration and pyrolsis technology.

Robert Klein arclein at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 11 19:30:25 EDT 2007

Good to see a lot of discussion on the technology and
the related costs.  There is no way that you want to
start hauling either plant waste or even end product
if you are talking agricultural use.

That puts the converted shipping crate and even the
amazonian corn stack right back in the running.  The
first can match or better the best commercial
incinerator and the second can generate solid yields
for with a modest and brief disturbance which we get
already.

The pyrolysis system is a good industrial application
for handling large volumes of say wood waste.  The
remaining solids may still have potential agricultural
value and could be used as an additive for soils.

What I learned a long time ago is that agriculture
produces large amounts of waste material that is
poorly utilized, often simply rotted.  Hauling it
anywhere is rarely an economic option.

Turning all of it into bio char is a wonderful
alternative since it applies to all organic waste and
the bulk of the contained carbon is then locked into a
form that can be put into the soil, rather than re
escaping into the air while it rots.