[Terrapreta] Larry Williams' Wood Vinegar and Charcoal Project

Larry Williams lwilliams at nas.com
Wed Jul 11 20:40:00 EDT 2007

Gerald-------Thanks for the website, I was unable to open anything
("not found on this server") to better understand how they handle
wood vinegar. I feel that we are children playing with charcoal
compared to what is taking place in Asia. It's a feeling that I need
to just live with. It seems true based on the articles that I read.

Richard and I are funding these activities and we have to consider
how to accomplish our goals with very limited resources. Of course,
we find as much fun out of the process as possible. At the same time,
we both agree that our own well-being will be improved if we achieve
an effective burning technique that captures off-gasses and greatly
reduces the release of greenhouse gases.

At no point in the retort burn did the released (vented) gases
sustain a flame. Only by using a propane torch were the gases flared.
What can be do to have a continuous flame? See: http://www.flickr.com/
photos/rchaard/sets/72157600696136152/ . In this burn I was dismayed
by the lost of heat and smoke from the fire under the retort. Next
time I will use a propane torch and a loose lid on the 55 gallon drum
(the outer container). Even with the 3" (7.6 cm) adapter on the
retort lid venting and contained by the lid of the larger drum, a
propane torch should be able to heat the retort much faster than that
of a wood fire. I am right that this is not an explosive situation---
right? I have ask this question many times to others and believe that
being safe wins the day. By putting a untighten lid on the larger
drum have the conditions changed to create an explosion given that
there is some O2 in the retort initially?

We both enjoyed the bamboo explosions within the 55 gallon drum and
agreed that there were likely some silica in the wood splinters to
not expose ourselves to. At some point, I would like to load the
retort with pieces of bamboo for a firing. It might be quite a sound
event if the bamboo isn't dry. We could split the culms. Well, not in
the center of the retort. Bamboo in the Bellingham area is usually
less than 2" (5 cm) in diameter

A 3" automotive exhaust pipe bolted to the lid of the retort carries
the venting gasses away from the retort. During this firing it
received a 90 degree piece of exhaust pipe to carry the heated gases
horizontally to the side of the 55 gallon drum, then down and back to
the firebox under the retort. Since I didn't have a good way to hold
these pieces of pipe together and with hot liquid dripping down the
second 90 degree piece of pipe, we had to much trouble holding the
pipe together. So we left the disassembled pipe apart till the next
firing. I will likely use nails to pin the pipe. Again, we are like
kids playing in their sand box.

We are looking for the simplest design for making charcoal, for
collecting part of the gasses and for flaring the remainder. Any
suggestions would be appreciated-------Larry