[Terrapreta] carbon and compost

Ron Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Sat Jul 14 15:34:05 EDT 2007

Tom:  last night you sent a reply to Robert Klein with an invitation to the
list to add comments.  I liked everything you wrote and thank you for
keeping this part of the needed TP dialog alive.  I went back to re-read
your past post about this pyrolysis oil process and now see where you got
your numbers - which look credible.

    Your house-clearing example ended up with a charcoal cost of $125/ton by
using a 20% yield and eventually got to a needed $10.60/acre-yr with a
5-year time horizon.  My gut reaction (like Chertoff - no credible
intelligence) is that Terra preta additions will be able to cross that
hurdle.  Like you, I look forward to real farmer reactions.   If a
particular farm is presently netting $100/acre-year, they only need a 10.6%
productivity improvement due to the char and we have certainly been hearing
larger productivity gains.  They might save this amount in reduced
fertilizer need.

    But I also want to try a climate perturbation.  Let's say a rate of
$15/ton CO2 or (rounding) $50/ton of char.  Then your $125/ton goes to
$125-$50 =$75/ton and your $10.60 moves close to $6.00/acre-yr.    I read
about near-term CO2 rebate rates going much higher than $15/ton CO2.

     The other big question we need to worry about is whether the char can
sell as energy for a higher value than you show.  At 30 GJ per tonne, and
converting tons to tonnes, your $125/ton goes to $125 x 1.1 / 30 = $4.60/GJ
= $4.80/MMBtu.    If the char value as energy might be $7.00/MMBtu (a
postulate) then the $125/ton price might have to go up by the ratio $7/$4.80
to $183.)  Suppose that your Oregon farmer has reported that the $125/ton
price is reasonable - and won't go higher.  Then, when split in a ratio of
$125 (soil)/($125 (soil)+$50 (climate)) = 5/7 = .71 , we arrive at a
farmer-soil share of  .71* $183 = $130  (and no sale will ensure until: 1)
the climate share goes up a bit, or 2)  the farmer chanes his mind and is
willing to pay $5 more per ton or 3) the energy-determined value/price comes
down).  However, if the going energy value of char is only $6.00/MMBtu (and
fossil coal costs much less delivered to Colorado power plants), then the
fair (?) break-even charcoal price to the farmer for its soil value might be
$125*(6/4.80)*.71=$110/ton, while the pyrolyzing company (after receiving
the climate credits) is realizing $110 +$50 = $160 - well above his presumed
$125 cost of production.  The point here is that both climate subsidies and
energy-values issues will (in the future) determine whether the Oregon
farmer is able to be happy at $10.60/acre-year.

    Since I believe soil productivity gains are going to exceed the small
($10.60/acre-yr) number that Tom calculates, I view this as a nice "proof"
that we should keep going.

Again, thanks to Tom.

    Ron

ps  Note that if we assume wood at 18 GJ/tonne, then a wood chip sales price
of $20/ton gives an energy value  for the wood (no pyrolysis) of $20 *1.1 /
18 = $1.20/GJ = $1.29/MMBTu - so there may be another energy bid auction
also going on to worry about.  Most coal-fire power plants should be burning
more wood today - if they can get wood for this price.