[Terrapreta] carbon and compost

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Sat Jul 14 16:48:06 EDT 2007

Duane,

Your examples demonstrate that current markets and much discussion
undervalue CO2 compared with apparent carbon production costs. My purpose in
looking at production costs and benefits is to try to establish some
realistic expectations about charcoal values as they relate to use. Edward
makes an important point: in our economies it costs more to process biomass
than one would guess. Charcoal products will be expensive unless they are
made as byproducts or co-products of other energy products like heat or
steam.

CO2 markets or credits may eventually impact the charcoal producer but I
think the prime motivation for making charcoal has to be something like
terra preta.

Tom