[Terrapreta] charcoal costs

Sean K. BArry sean.barry at juno.com
Sun Jul 15 01:03:42 EDT 2007

Hi Jeff,

I agree that charcoal is best made on or very near the point of use.  Shipping biomass and/or product charcoal to/from an industrial size biomass-to-charcoal processing plant just seems to unnecessarily pay for the transportation cost.  "Neo Terra Preta" will require biomass from large areas spread over much of the land and the applied charcoal product will be put back again, onto large areas of land.  When trying to achieve or bring down that $200/ton of charcoal price, it will be much more efficient to eliminate "raw materials and product transpotation costs" from process.  Does anyone else in the group agree with this sense?