[Terrapreta] charcoal costs

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Sun Jul 15 16:26:53 EDT 2007

Sean,

Supply and demand will take care of logistics. Production is likely to be
located near the resource. With the advanced transportation infrastructure
in Europe and North America demand can be anywhere. In Latin America, Africa
and Asia production is likely to be more decentralized and closer to the use
because of the lack of roads.

Production in North America is more likely to be determined by who will be
the charcoal producer. My 35 years of experience with wood and crop residues
suggest that it will not be the farmer or logger who produces the charcoal.
It is usually someone from a farm family but who gets most of their income
off the farm, in trucking, production or related activities. That's because
residue handling and processing is a different management activity than
farming. It takes a different mentality and it take a mind that is not
preoccupied with the farm or mill.

If I had a few acres in your area I would be tempted to produce charcoal.
You appear to have cattle and poultry as sources of nutrients. You have some
cropland (800 farms, 96,000 acres) and a little woodland. 3% of the land
(3,000 acres) is in nurseries and greenhouses which produce 60% of the farm
income in the county. A great potential market. Because of the
aforementioned transportation infrastructure you have access to (20+)
millions  of acres of productive cropland to apply your charcoal. So when do
you start production?

Tom