[Terrapreta] Terra Preta Signatures

Saibhaskar Nakka saibhaskarnakka at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 12:10:32 EDT 2007

Dear Kevin Chisholm, Gerald Van Koeverden, Robert Klien, and all,

Thank you.

Kevin: A Pottery Technology that pyrolysed wood, and heated their kilns with
pyrolysis gases. Is there any evidence to suggest that such technology
was employed?

This technology is employed even now in the rural villages in India. The
pictures I have posted in the website are live examples. I am sure this
practice was there since more than 5000 years, evidences are there from
Harappa and Mohenjodharo civilisations (Indian subcontinent) and many more
around the world including Terra Preta of Amazon.

Kevin: "Central Agriculture" where animals were confined and manure was
collected. Is there any evidence to suggest that such animal tending
practises were employed?

The first prosperous civilisations in India, adopted mixed farming
(agriculture+animals). It is still common in India. Due to climate change /
recurring drought conditions majority of the people in the semi-arid
areas are adopting more and more livestock as compared in the past, for
coping.

 Gerald: Did you did into the soil profile in thosekiln locations to see the
soil is black like in the terra petras?
Yes the soil profile in those kiln locations is black.
I wish all the best in your future terra preta experiments.
 Gerald:(I'm just curious.  Since your last name 'Reddy', are you from that
caste in Hyderabad?  I just spent a year working there, and every other
person I met seemed to have that last name!)
(Yes, you are right, Reddy is the suffix for majority of the telugu speaking
farmer communities in Andhra Pradesh State)

Robert: It has been common practice and acknowledged safe practice to
dispose of ash and other combustion practice in manures and soils since time
immemorial everywhere.
Yes you are right, no useful material is wasted in the villages. Although
the villagers many not understand the intricacies, as we do.

Dr. Sai Bhaskar Reddy