[Terrapreta] Terra Preta Signatures

Kevin Chisholm kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Wed Jul 18 16:39:13 EDT 2007

Dear Dr. Reddy

I couldn't see where the combustion chamber was of a nature that it
worked from pyrolysis gases, rather from the complete combustion of
wood. But that is not the issue... what kind of wood burning/pyrolysing
technology were they applying in "the Olden Days?"

>     Kevin: "Central Agriculture" where animals were confined and manure was
>     collected. Is there any evidence to suggest that such animal tending
>     practises were employed?
>
>     The first prosperous civilisations in India, adopted mixed farming
>     (agriculture+animals). It is still common in India. Due to climate
>     change / recurring drought conditions majority of the people in the
>     semi-arid areas are adopting more and more livestock as compared in
>     the past, for coping.

Similarly, did the "Neo-Lithic Farmers" house their animals in a
building, in a central location, where they had an opportunity to
collect manure?

>     Gerald: Did you did into the soil profile in thosekiln locations to
>     see the soil is black like in the terra petras?

>     Yes the soil profile in those kiln locations is black.
>     I wish all the best in your future terra preta experiments.

Ash usually contains some carbon. Is the carbon at a level that one
would expect with ash, OR is it carbon resulting from the production of
significant percentages of char because of a pyrolysis process for kiln
heating?

Best wishes,

Kevin