[Terrapreta] growth

Richard Haard richrd at nas.com
Sun Jul 29 23:33:54 EDT 2007

Hi Edward

On Jul 30, 2007, at 8:02 PM, Edward Someus wrote:

> Hello Richard,
>
> What dosis are using for charcoal to mix into the soil? What grain
> size?
  We used 30 gallons of charcoal in each 5 foot by 17 foot plot,
rototilled in a single pass to 6 inches.
John Flottvik's charcoal is a fine powder and conifer source.
Larry's Charcoal is about 1/2" minus and is made from hardwoods
primarily alder, with some maple, birch and cherry.
> What is the organic volatile residual content in the char? Is that
> hard wood or soft wood you are using for  char?
We are not releasing analysis of John's charcoal. Ours is 11.22%
Volatile,46.5% fixed C and 42.2 % Ash. It is as we put it in the
soil. The high ash is because of our earth covered mound method of
production and with a followup test of clean charcoal the Volatile
component might be considerably higher.
> What is your irrigation programme during tests?

We are using overhead irrigation in this section. Rate is high
because adjacent seedbeds are moist habitat native shrubs, willow, etc.