[Terrapreta] growth

Gerald Van Koeverden vnkvrdn at yahoo.ca
Tue Jul 31 19:53:23 EDT 2007

I'm sure that the inventors of terra preta used mud to cover up their
fallen trees and brush to make charcoal!  It's still made that way in
many places around the world.  In fact that would largely solve the
matter of how they mixed the topsoil and charcoal, because they are
both right there together.  In contrast, how much effort is it to
work all that land every single year - six inches deep - to mix in a
few pounds of corn stover charcoal for a culture that didn't even
have one single draft animal for cultivation??  It doesn't seem
feasible.  It makes much more sense to do it all in one shot,
considering the amount of work required to mix the two.

But how did all this get started?  I'll speculate that they learned
about it by accident.  Perhaps an understanding of it grew out of
their firing of pottery and the disposal of the wastes?  From the
photos I've seen of some terra preta soil profiles, they made lots of
it.  Maybe the quality of their clay was poorer than elsewhere and
they had to make it more often and thus...??

Whatever a month or so ago, Saibhaskar Nakka wrote about the terra
petra 'signatures' he was finding in India - areas associated with
the potter's work.  Maybe there lies the answer?  Baking of clay
within semi-airtight containment, results in a mixture of ash and
charcoal.  And these wastes were then used by the potters for their
fields.  Maybe this was the way it all started in the Amazon?

To my mind, the real mystery of terra preta might not be so much how
the Amerindians discovered how to use charcoal as a soil amendment,
but why no other culture did!

Gerry