[Terrapreta] One Tonne of charcoal = X?? amount of sequestered GHGs

Kevin Chisholm kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Fri Jun 1 23:01:16 CDT 2007

Dear Michael

Michael Bailes wrote:
> OK
> Given all the variables you have just been talking about.
> less need for fertiliser, greater crop, less transport etc
> etc etc
>
> Can any one who is clever at sums, tell me how much GHG is sequestered per
> tonne of Charcoal?
> (Lets assume it is 99% pure charcoal or pick a number between 40-99%)
> This will be an important issue when carbon credits for Terra preta farming
> come in (as they must)

It is quite simple actually. One tonne of 100% Carbon in charcoal
represents teh Carbon in one tonne of GHG.

Carbon and oxygen have molecular weights of 12 and 16 respectively; CO2
is 44. 1 Tonne of pure Carbon would thus represent 1 x 44/12 = 3.66
tonnes of CO2

I would think that typical charcoal would average about 93% Carbon, and
7% ash. One tonne of this charcoal would thus contain Carbon equal to
that containd in .93*3.66 = 3.4 tonnes of CO2

Best wishes,

Kevin