[Terrapreta] Feedstock for TP Charcoal

rkurt at tadaust.org.au rkurt at tadaust.org.au
Sun Jun 3 00:45:48 CDT 2007

Hi folkes,
What can we successfully make TP charcoal out of?
Well, we don't really know, do we. A number of people and concerns on
this list are working to the point, but nobody except the old Indios
really know.
Their evidence, some years old suggests that tropical hardwoods from
their sites are the way to go.
In Japan they have been working with bamboo charcoal and allegedly have
had some success.
Anecdotal evidence from Australia suggest that trees cleared and
windrowed and burnt to make way for pasture had a TP type effect, in one
case and unknown in another.

If it is in fact hardwood charcoal that is needed, then how are we going
to get enough to make a difference. Presumably, other kinds of charcoal
will be less effective in rasing fertility leavels, though that should
not stop us putting it in the soil.
How do you get lots of hardwood to make into charcoal? Australian
eucalypts would do the job, but you'd have people out in force to string
you up from them if you suggested razing Australian forests to make
charcoal. People ARE planting them at present, mainly for the woodchip
trade and others to make timber in the future. These all seem to
envisage eventual clear felling---- but---- there is another way.
Coppicing. Cut the tree off a foot or so above the ground, when its 8 or
so inches thick. Use the wood, the stump will reshoot and some years
later you will be able to repeat the process and keep on doing so, over
the years. In Elizabethan days, practically all Englands forests were
managed that way. Other kinds of trees will do the same.

Another possibility is algae. According to discussion on the "Oil from
Algae" list truly enormous amounts of algae can be harvested from an
acre of pond. The stuff can double every day down to every few hours.
Dry it. You can then extract oil, or burn it in powerhouses. It may even
be usable for TP purposes, but that needs experimentation. It would
certainly help reduce the amount of fossil fuel being fed into
powerhouses. Any oil would make a usable supply for vehicles. Where do
you get it? There are plenty of sunny non-arable areas around, deserts
and such. The ponds could be built there.

Something to think about.

Kurt