[Terrapreta] Durability of charcoal as carbon sink?

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Sun Jun 3 01:32:42 CDT 2007

Hi Edward,

Welcome to the group and to this discussion. The summary of your currciculum vitae reads like you probably know more about this stuff than all of us in the group.  It will be very interesting talking to you.  Please stay in touch.

Thanks for the interesting retort to my assumption,

I said, "I am assuming, by hypothesis, that the "fixed carbon in charcoal" is NOT DECOMPOSED by microbes ................".

You say, "YES FIX CARBON IN CHARCOAL WILL BE DECOMPOSED sooner or later, from nature point of view rapidly, but from human point of view slowly."

So "fixed carbon slowly decays" over time.  That can answer why it seems like carbon stays around a long time in some soils. It just lasts longer in some soils, but decays at different rates on different sites.  Do you think the original "Neo Terra Preta" land reformers may have noticed that?

The ancient Amazonian people were maybe around for ...

"somewhere between 10,000 and a couple of 100s of years, more or less, all depending on the soil condition"

Maybe that's why they continued to make Terra Preta for centuries?  They were seeing it slowly disappear.  So, they threw some more charcoal in to get the effect again, or moved on, to better soil conditions, because the local soil conditions weren't right for making a go of growing crops there.  Look for somewhere where food crops growing well and start throwing charcoal onto it.  Or, if you find a place with some charcoal on it, probably a place where food crops are growing well, then throw some more on top of it.  It will just get better with more time, more charcoal, more wastes, more living there with it (with age, with you and your offspring's family trees).  It's a story like someone with an agrarian lifestyle might live.

This recycling follows a linear progression through time, when considered within the site-specific context.

That's neat.  I like simple linear relations.  You can make simple series of measurements, lay out a graph and an equation on a spreadsheet, and make predictions with them, build them into programs, and run lots of machines and projects with them.  I'd bet you can predict carbon levels in soil over a long period of time with some accuracy.

New text

The effect of the biochemical degradation of charcoal and soil humic material is measured by a ratio of the total organic carbon to the readily oxidizable carbon in the soil sample.  ... This ratio is  the Oxidizable Carbon Ratio.

Do you measure, test, and/or attempt to adjust it (or all of that) with this "Organic Carbon Ratio (OCR =  "total organic carbon (TOC) : readily oxidizable carbon (ROC)" ?

What is a high value for the TOC:ROC ratio (one which is found on an existing terraform)?
What does that mean to the carbon balance or the soil climate there?  High TOC:ROC is a desert or a mine?

What does a low TOC:ROC ratio mean?  Verdant?  Smelly?  Wet?  Poisonous?  Alive?  Dying? Useful for agriculture?  Land with inertia in terms of carbon decay rates?

The rate of biochemical degradation will vary within the specific physical and environmental contexts of the sample.  An age estimate of the organic carbon is determined through a systems formula that accounts for the biological influences of oxygen, moisture, temperature, carbon concentration, and the soil reactivity.

This is fascinating news, Edward.  You are saying that carbon in soil can be "aged" in a way other than radioactive carbon dating of some of the carbon.  Do you think this systems formula can be used to accurately and verifiably make determinations about future carbon content in soil?

The UN aegis called the "Climate Executive Board nees to make determination about soil carbon content in the futre.identifying whether a "Certified Emissions Redcution" (CER) project can earn "carbon credits"

New text