[Terrapreta] Feedstock for TP Charcoal

David Yarrow dyarrow at nycap.rr.com
Sun Jun 3 21:50:13 CDT 2007

not all tree species sprout from stumps (coppice).  most softwoods are not good stump sprouters, and hardwoods vary considerably.  and some coppice more easily and prolifically than others.  a bit of research will be required to sort such a stategy out and identify species with the proficiency and efficiency suited to such a production strategy.

and then there are shrubs and bushes that produce a lot of vigorous growth, much of it woody.  in general, the land, soil and water do not like to be exposed to direct sunlight, which will heat and dry out the land.  the land prefers to be kept shaded, cool and moist.  so as soon as you clear-cut trees from land, you get not only tree stumps and seedlings sprouting -- you get a chaotic profusion of underbrush -- often with lots of briars and thorns to protect the trees until they each larger size.  this sort of small diameter biomass shrubbery is quite woody and can feed a pyrolysis process.  it will all go though a chipper and reduce to a compact, small particle size feedstock.

on my own 1.3 acre property, every year i have to clear away the undergrowth ranging from weeds to shrubs and small trees.  i make piles of them, which then decay over three years into dark brown humps of wonderfully rich organic matter that i then spread around to enrich my garden soils.  these piles also become microbial communiies, loaded with bacteria, fungi, mycorrhyzae, insects, and all other decomposers.  spreading these rotted around also inoculates my soil to boost its digestive capacities.

David Yarrow
"If yer not forest, yer against us."
Turtle EyeLand Sanctuary
44 Gilligan Road, East Greenbush, NY 12061
518-330-2587
dyarrow at nycap.rr.com
www.championtrees.org
www.OnondagaLakePeaceFestival.org
www.citizenre.com/dyarrow/
www.SeaAgri.com

"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times,
if one only remembers to turn on the light."
-Albus Dumbledore