[Terrapreta] Global Carbon Cycle

Kevin Chisholm kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Mon Jun 4 11:51:39 CDT 2007

Dear Sean

To clarify... If there was a "Carbon Cap" on carbon from fossil fuels,
then TP contributions would definitely reduce the Carbon in the Biosphere.

I perhaps belabor this point as a way of bringing a bit of focus to the
TP Table. All the good work on this list can have merit and be valid
simply in the context of improvements to agriculture. TP work can
certainly stand on its own merits, and does not need to reduce the CO2
content of the Biosphere to be helpful.

If the future of TP is tied to reducing Greenhouse Gas, then diffusive
arguments can be brought out against TP.

In my opinion, the World is a long way from a "Fossil Carbon Cap," or
from a Fossil Carbon Tax. The US, China and India are not signatories to
the Kyoto Protocol. The US has a stated policy that "The American Way of
Life is non-negotiable." I feel Terra Preta can be advanced on its
merits as an Agricultural system enhancement, and that any subsequent
benefits from Global Warming Amelioration should stand or fall on their
own merits.

Best wishes,

Kevin