[Terrapreta] Durability of charcoal as carbon sink?

code suidae codesuidae at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 17:02:44 CDT 2007

On 6/3/07, Duane Pendergast <still.thinking at computare.org> wrote:

>  two hundred years is as good as forever in our economic systems.
> Sequestration by charcoal thus greatly simplifies the design of an
> accounting system as there is no need for complex formulae to account for
> sink degradation.

Perhaps true, but in the spirit of endowing future generations it would be
wise to keep durable records of where we sequester large quantities of char.
While I doubt there will be any shortage of records for them to examine,
future researchers might appreciate having to do less expensive field work
to figure out exactly what we've left them with and how we did it.

DOK