[Terrapreta] Flaring the more potent GHG in the off gas fromacharcoal kiln?

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Tue Jun 5 07:34:32 CDT 2007

Hey Kurt,

You are at the other end of my "poor bloke" problem, aren't you?  Thanks for the one compliment about the house I built.

Yes, it's made out of schedule 40 steel pipe.  If it burns through in my lifetime with continuous use, I will throw the towel in.  I wanted to make it entirely of of stainless steel, but a 4 foot length of 12" SS SCH40 pipe would have cost $5000 some dollars!  I thought about getting it plated (nickel-chromium or something?), but that too is quite expensive here.  Some of the internal parts are stainless steel, but the parts are mostly heavy gauge carbon steel.  The parts already weigh well over 500 pounds.  I am going to set it up on the driveway, right next to the wood burning boiler and hook the boiler lines in, so I can heat the house from the gasifier instead if I want to.