[Terrapreta] Fwd: Fwd: Global Carbon Cycle

Kevin Chisholm kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Tue Jun 5 08:27:23 CDT 2007

Dear Lou and Code

I think it is a big mistake to attribute to the Ancient Peoples more
knowledge and intelligence than that for there is evidence to support.

If all they had was hammer and nail, and I assume they had nuts and
bolts, I will get wrong answers.

I would suggest that we do not need advanced technology or computers or
Scanning Electron Microscopes and all the neat stuff that gets people
PhD's, to figure out how to make Terra Preta work. I would suggest that
we work with the resources they had at their disposal. They had char,
they had pottery, they had domestic waste, they had animal manure. They
had pee and poo. They had slaughtering wastes. They had vegetative wastes.

I can imagine a Meeting of some of the Village Elders at a local
watering hole...

"Hey, Xipadu, remember when I told you that I dumped that black stuff
from my smudge pot on top of the big turd I laid beside the path to my
house, and noticed there were no flies or smell coming from it? Well,
guess what!! I put some in a clay pot, dropped a few corn seeds in it,
and they grew like mad!! Then I noticed wherever in my back yard that I
had put black stuff on turds to hide the smell, and keep the kids from
walking in it, the grass was really green. What do you think? Should we
poo on our plants to make them grow better?

"Hey Qixca, you might be onto something there! At least, the kids
wouldn't have an occasional accident and track poo into the house. They
never go near the plants. Perhaps you should put some black stuff on the
poo so the the plants don't fall over with the smell? You make the
foulest poo in the Village. What do you think, Xpala?"

"Well, I am not sure. Lets go see the Shaman, and see what he says. We
wouldn't want to make a mistake, would we? Remember when I dumped the
python guts near the Squash without the Shaman's Approval, and the very
next day, the Mother-in-Law died? On second thought, go for it!!"

"Hey Xpala!! How be if I put a pottery shard on each poo pile to ward
off the evil spirits?"

"That would work. What a neat way to cover your ass, so to speak."

The rest is probably history... ;-)

Can anyone think of ANY resource they were lacking in order to develop a
  "Great Growing System?"

"Merely because a cow does not understand the workings of her 4th
stomach is no reason why she should not eat grass."

Best wishes,

Kevin