[Terrapreta] Fwd: Fwd: Global Carbon Cycle

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Tue Jun 5 13:57:08 CDT 2007

When you do your personal calculations you'll find anything from 8-15 tpy
CO2 emissions, at 0.3 tC/tCO2 (~3.33 tCO2/tC) that's 2.4-6 tpy. That was the
purpose of my calculation of the area required for applying carbon.  At 5-10
t/ha (2-4 t/a) that's about 1 acre (4 tC) per person per year.

http://terrapreta.bioenergylists.org/carbondioxide

It makes sense to invest in carbon sequestration through productive
agriculture at the rate of 1 acre (4t) per person/year. At a US population
of 302,011,659 (at 18:52 GMT (EST+5) Jun 05, 2007) that's 302 million acres
per year or about 1.2 billion tons of charcoal per year. At 25% net yield of
charcoal that's 4.8 million tons of biomass or more than 4 times what the
USDOE says we have available for energy.

Tom