[Terrapreta] Fwd: Fwd: Global Carbon Cycle

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Tue Jun 5 14:27:29 CDT 2007

Hi Tom,

Your calculations are considering how the people in the USA could sequestered on our own land all of the carbon we emit from fossil fuel burning in this country alone.  Is that right?

What I am suggesting is that we could pay the undeveloped countries who do not have net positive carbon inputs to the atmosphere, to bury some of the carbon standing on their land, to offset the carbon we put into the atmosphere.  We need the help of the entire worlds area and the entire world population just to clean up our stinking pit.  From what I have read (in Encyclopedia of Energy paper), there are some 132 billion tons of new growth of biomass on land every year.  4.8 billion tons of biomass is only ~3.6% of that new growth.

It's not an impossibility yet, that we cannot find or make enough charcoal to offset the entire world populations emissions of fossil fuel carbon into the atmosphere.  It is a near impossibility, as you pointed out, that the USA could clean up it's own mess, with only it's own land, and with the efforts of only the USA population.

We definitely need to "reach out" and probably pay the world to help us clean up this mess.  I believe that can work.  I believe the JI/CDM framework in the Kyoto Protocol Treaty can allow that to happen.