[Terrapreta] Fwd: Fwd: Global Carbon Cycle

Kevin Chisholm kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Wed Jun 6 00:56:32 CDT 2007

Dear Lou

This is a very simplistic attempt to explain some of the factors
influencing CO2 in the atmosphere.

Consider a "box" that represents the Biosphere. All Carbon in the
Biosphere is involved with a "life process"... trees, algae, grass,
animals, plants, etc. The carbon content in this biosphere box is in
equilibrium, neither increasing nor decreasing.

Consider what happens when 1 unit of "fossil carbon" is added to the
biosphere box as CO2. There will be an initial increase in the
atmosphere. If there was space to grow, adequate sun, water and
nutrients, and if the upper limiting value for CO2 was not exceeded,
then it would be incorporated into plants, and other bio-forms. The
atmosphere would then come to an equilibrium.

If you wreck a portion of the biosphere (cutting trees, killing animals,
clearing land, etc, the system will return to the same equilibrium state
that existed before the disruption. Total carbon in the biosphere would
be the same, because none more was added, and none was removed. The only
way to lower the carbon in the biosphere to get it back to its original
level is to remove carbon from the biosphere. This can be done by
converting some of the biomass in the biosphere into a weight of carbon
equal to the weight of fossil carbon originally added.

So, to fit your query into the above framework...

1: It doesn't matter if trees are harvested, and allowed to decompose,
in that no carbon is removed from the biosphere. There would be a short
term increase as the tree rotted, but no long term net gain or net loss.

2: It doesn't matter if a portion of the trees are burned... the release
is faster, but there is no net change in Carbon content.

3: Similarly, if the wood is used in construction, it is temporarily
removed from the biosphere, but over the long term, it will be returned.

4: Similarly, with soil that is denuded of its organics... a short term
spike of CO2 release, but no long term change.

5: If the land is built upon, it reduces the effective working space of
the Biosphere, and the CO2 in the atmosphere will tend to rise, unless
the plants can take up more CO2. However, there was no net change in
biosphere carbon content.

6: If the land was allowed to return to forest, then the system would
return to its original state.

7: If the land is converted to pasture, atmosphere carbon content would
increase because there would be only a fraction of one year's growth
sequestered as biomass.

8: Cow belches and termite farts don't matter either, in that they
simply took carbon from the biosphere, and then gave it back later.

Thus, we see:
1: Carbon in the biosphere increases only when new carbon is added to
the biosphere. (Fossil fuels, semi-fossil carbon such as peat bogs and
methane hydrate, etc)

2: Carbon in the biosphere is only decreased when carbon is removed from
the biosphere. (Charcoal buried as terra preta, compressed CO2 stored in
  wells or caverns, etc)

3: Slower "recycling" of carbon that is temporarily sequestered in
trees, or in construction materials, will tend to lower CO2 in the
atmosphere, until such time as it is all returned within the Biosphere
as a lifeform.

The bottom line is that if some people buy carbon credits and burn
fossil fuels, there will be an increase in the carbon level of the
Biosphere unless an equivalent amount of carbon was removed from the
biosphere. Real carbon removal, not just "paper credits." The only way
to maintain current levels of carbon in the biosphere is to remove a
weight of carbon equivalent to that which was added as fossil fuel. The
best that the present Carbon Trading system can do is maintain the
present excessive levels of C in the biosphere. However, with Global
Warming being evidenced as it is now, the present Carbon Trading system
is institutionalizing a state of "much too little, far too late."

I hope that the above has some "elements of clarification".

Best wishes,

Kevin